HydroGeo Designs LLC. (HGD) is a private consulting firm specializing in watershed analyses, stream restoration, applied fluvial geomorphology, hydrology, hydraulic engineering, storm water management and erosion control projects. We are committed to addressing each project using a scientific approach to understand the baseline conditions, natural processes and project constraints. The high quality baseline data collected serves as a foundation for thorough problem understanding, project alternative analysis and recommended solutions. Our focus is superior customer service and innovative cost effective project solutions that represent state of the art science to ensure project success.
Our Scientific and Engineering Specialties Include:
- Watershed assessment and GIS mapping
- Fluvial geomorphology
- Channel restoration and rehabilitation design
- Stream and lakeshore bank stabilization analysis and design (using bioengineering and traditional engineering approaches)
- Fish habitat structure designs
- Detailed topographic surveying of site terrain and geomorphic channel features
- Hydraulic and geomorphic field data collection including water flow measurement, stream bed sediment sampling, sediment transport measurement and water quality monitoring.
- HEC-RAS and HEC-HMS modeling of floodplains, river hydraulics, watershed hydrology and sediment transport
- Hydraulic design of channels, floodplain and infrastructure including culvert design, bridge scour analysis and scour countermeasure designs
- Storm water management solutions to reduce off-site runoff impacts
- Coastal and tidal breakwater and marsh creation design
- Innovative erosion control BMP measures for soil stabilization and construction runoff management
- On-site construction management services to transfer plan details into constructed projects
Through a focused business strategy that emphasizes hydrology, hydraulics and fluvial geomorphology projects investigated by highly trained professionals HGD guarantees top quality customer service and personal attention to our clients. Our Principal Hydraulic Engineer Brett Jordan PhD, PE has 10 years of experience in hydrology, fluvial geomorphology, open channel hydraulics, storm water management, erosion control, sediment transport and stream restoration design in the academic and private consulting sectors. He has worked on over 30 different river systems ranging from steep mountain headwater streams to low gradient sand bed streams and coastal marshlands in the Pacific Northwest, Inter-Mountain West, Southeast and Gulf Coast regions. These projects have ranged from watershed scale analysis of sediment and nutrient transport, reach scale stream and coastal marshland restoration designs and site specific analysis of hydraulic structures.
Brett has also has taught graduate level courses in the Civil Engineering Department at Colorado State University and short courses to government agencies focusing on field data collection and analysis of river systems. The courses emphasize quantitative measurement of river attributes necessary for understanding natural channel geomorphic processes. Topics include bed material measurement, longitudinal, cross-section and planform surveys, bankfull stage identification, water and sediment discharge measurement, channel roughness estimation and channel classification systems including those proposed by (Rosgen, Montgomery and Buffington and Schumm). In addition to teaching the field data analysis techniques, he has implemented identical techniques on successful stream and river projects in the Inter-Mountain West, the Pacific Northwest, and California.
HGD recognizes that there is a direct connectivity between physical geomorphic river characteristics and the biologic components that define the aquatic habitat and ecologic health of the system. Our Principal Biologist Dr. Barbara Gray uses her scientific background to document the biologic health associated with aquatic and terrestrial habitats. Dr. Gray’s extensive biological background provides HGD expertise in both the geomorphic and biologic components of watershed and stream assessments. Dr. Gray is also experienced with topographic surveying, construction management and channel design implementation for our projects.
At HGD our focus is providing superior customer service and exceeding our client’s expectations through rigorous data collection, modeling, scientific analysis, design and turn-key implementation services. We utilize state of the art innovative techniques and a collaborative decision making process to meet client objectives for every project. Our philosophy is to approach each project with a thorough understanding of the client objectives and goals and then couple those objectives with an understanding of the fundamental science that drives the hydrologic system to provide successful long-term solutions for the client that will solve the problems and work with the river system.